NOTE: KEEP A COPY OF ANY DENIAL LETTER FROM SSA
NOTE: DO NOT MISS YOUR APPEAL DEADLINES or you will likely have to start all over again.
NOTE: Try to download and bring a completed DISABILTY APPEAL REPORT to your Appointment with us from this LINK:
NOTE: WE DO NOT GET PAID UNLESS YOU ARE AWARDED BENEFITS
- Application: Apply for Social Security Disability and/or SSI at your local SSA Office. In Aroostook County - Just call toll-free 1-877-837-2719. The local SSA office is staffed with highly trained claims representatives who will assist you in filing your claim.Your case will then be looked at by Disability Determination Services in Augusta. You may be asked to attend examinations by medical doctors or psychologists retained by SSA. You may also be asked to fill out forms on work, pain, activities and other matters. You should make sure you respond to the SSA’s requests for information.
- On-Line Application: You can also apply on-line at the following GOVERNMENT WEBSITE http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm
- CAUTION: Make sure you are on the official SSA Web Site and not that of an out-of-state organization trying to sign you up as a client!
- Reconsideration: If your application is denied - the next step is Reconsideration. This is a request for Disability Determination Sevices to take another look at your case. You will be asked to submit updated information. Request Reconsideration by calling the local SSA office toll-free 1-877-837-2719 and asking for the Reconsideration appeals packet or by filing on-line http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm YOU HAVE 60 DAYS TO REQUEST RECONSIDERATION.
- ALJ Hearing: If you are denied Reconsideration, the next step is to ask for a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). YOU HAVE 60 DAYS TO REQUEST an ALJ HEARING.
At the Hearing Level we highly recommend that you have legal counsel. Whether you choose this office or another, we strongly suggest that you retain counsel in your area. There are many “on-line” organizations who will take your case even though their advocates are in distant states. Consider the benefits of having an advocate you can meet with face-to-face. LeClaire Law Offices handles cases only in Aroostook County Maine.
In Aroostook County, your hearing will usually take place in Presque Isle by Tele-Video conference. It is reassuring to many clients to know that their SSA hearing is a private matter that is NOT open to the public; only you, your representative and SSA personnel will be in the hearing room. The ALJ usually will appear on the Televideo screen from the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review in Portland. Your SSA hearing is confidential.
If you choose to have us represent you - your advocate at your hearing will be Rosemary Monahan. Go to our STAFF page for information about Rosemary.
Post-Hearing Appeals Unfavorable ALJ decisions will be considered for appeal to the SSA APPEALS COUNCIL. We will discuss this option with you. LeClaire Law office also handles Social Security Appeals in Federal Court after consideration of the facts and law of your case and in consultation with you regarding your options. Sarah LeClaire, Esq. handles SSA appeals at the federal court level.
How Long Does It Take?
Unless your case is so clear-cut that you are granted benefits just by applying it can take well over a year to have a hearing scheduled. If you have chosen to have us represent you, we will meet with you, update your medical records with SSA, make recommendations, and determine how best to develop your case. We have highly trained staff whose job it is obtain your medical and other relevant records, analyze them and submit them promptly to the SSA. We only ask that you tell us who your providers are so that we can obtain and update your records.
SSA cases are generally not emergency cases.
THERE ARE SOME EXCEPTIONS, HOWEVER!
You may qualify for a
“COMPASSIONATE ALLOWANCE” if you have a very serious illness or condition. Here is a
LINK TO SSA’s LIST OF COMPASSIONATE ALLOWANCES:
The Social Security Administration gives these types of cases the very highest priority.
TO APPLY Contact the
The Social Security Office serving Aroostook County Maine
Local Office Location
365 Main St
Presque Isle, Maine 04769
Aroostook County SSA Office Phone Number
MONDAY - FRIDAY:09:00 AM - 03:00 PM
and here is LINK to the official SOCIAL SECURITY WEB SITE http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm
Link to Disability Appeal Report http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-3441.pdf